The Business Manager is the one in charge of the business operations of a 20-employee digital agency in downtown Seattle – keeping the books, managing vendors, and coordinating with creative, production, project management and account management to ensure costs are being tracked and paid across areas like media and free-lance contractors. The Business Manager “partners” with owners to devise and manage business strategies.
An ideal candidate is accustomed to working in a small business environment, is detailed oriented, a creative problem solver and is a self-starter who is excited to work in a rapidly changing industry and working with a small team. Developing cross-team relationships will be a key part of this role so effective communication, leadership, and professionalism is imperative.
- Handles the full cycle of accounting duties including accounts payable, receivables, payroll, and taxes. Codes and enters vendor and expense invoices, runs checks, tracks customer billings, prepares bank deposits (ensures that the correct general ledger accounts are debited or credited), manages payroll (handled by ADP).
- Prepares and files monthly and quarterly state and local tax and other returns
- Reconciles all accounts on a regular basis
- Coordinates information provided to outside advisors – tax return preparers, benefits providers, 401K, etc.
- Monitors bank balances and reconciles monthly bank statements.
- Tracks PO’s carefully to ensure that PO’s are prepared for all expenditures, that the PO’s are appropriately approved internally, and that invoices are applied against the appropriate PO
- Reviews and recommends process improvements for efficiency and greater security in project management (creation and tracking of costs against projects, resource utilization), and in media reconciliation (plan vs. actual reconciliation)
- Recommends and implements appropriate software tools and processes
- Primary point of contact for office support (supplies, facilities, IT) and benefits
- Partners with owners to provide business process improvements and ensure consistent application of business policies.
- A 4-year Bachelors (BA or BS) degree is required. Degree in accounting or business is desirable
- 10+ years in bookkeeping/accounting/business role required.
- Agency experience highly desirable
- Experience working in small company, owner-managed environment
- Experience working in project management environment
- 3+ years working with QuickBooks. Use of QB Purchase Orders and Job costing desirable
- Strong MSFT Excel skills
- Ability to problem solve and think critically and independently
- Good business sense.
- Ability to work across teams including media, creative, account management and project management to ensure seamless delivery of work. Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment while handling multiple tasks with shifting priorities.